Querying OGR layers based on MapInfo files works with the default query
syntax used for shapefiles. I never tries though to query other types of
OGR layers.

If it's just to get some extent values from x/y values, why don't you
try to directly query the Access file using PHP-PEAR-DB-ODBC connection,
get the x/y values and create a polygon based on a buffer distance? This
should be no more than 20 lines of code. You can use AJAX request
(simple with jQuery) and a bit of JS to run that in the background and
then launch p.mapper with the needed zoom params.

Armin