I finally checked MS 5.6 with Postgis layers and you are right. It will
not work since there was a change in MS 5.6 for querying RDBMS based
layers. The problem is that the highlight function requires the indexes
of the records for retrieving just the features that shall be added to
the dynamically added highlighting layer. This unfortunately does not
work any more in 5.6 because the indexes retrieved are not the values
from the filed defined with "USING UNIQUE..." but just starting with 0
and going up to the numbers of results. For shape layers it still is as
it was before.

I will have to see how this can be fixed, or avoid this method for
Postgis layers and use another method for it.

So far I would suggest to avoid 5.6 with Postgis layers or if you
compile MS by yourself, replace the mappostgis.c in 5.6 with the latest
5.4 version.

armin