Hi all

One of the underlying datasets in my P.Mapper app is a model grid (many
thousand cells) in a shapefile.  The data displays nice and quick when just
viewing, but if I allow the user to select say 5000 cells (using the select
by rectangle tool or even the seach tool) it is very (extremely) slow to
redraw with the highlighted cells.  Doing the same task in a very old ArcGIS
server web app was much quicker (admittedly the data was in SDE/MS SQL).  So
my question is what is the best way to improve performance?  Does using a
shapefile just not cut it when selecting so much data?  Has anyone got
P.Mapper to work with a mapfile containing a layer where the data is within
a MS SQL 2005 db with the MSSQLSPATIAL add-on (using OGR)?   Or are there
other better approaches to use or settings (inc. PHP) to tweak?

Many thanks
Chris