If you want to try the highlight method with the 2 files I put in the
zip file, you need to limit the number of features to be returned for
the result table. Just try setting it to 100. The highlight using the
querymap will nevertheless highlight *all* found features. So I guess
it should make a difference.

I would also guess that the pure transfer of 5000 features as JSON
string (I guess more than 1 MB) and converting them via JavaScript to
HTML is at least as much slowing down the display as the adding of the
features to the map. Just try the difference between browsers like IE
(very slow) and Chrome (very fast).  Also I'm wondering how it makes
sense to display more than a few 100 in the result table.

You could also disable the display of the result table and just see
what's the difference between the 2 highlight methods. You need to
disable some parts in the JavaScript files pm.query.js (and define the
/javascript/src/ folder in the config XML as the JS location to be
used.

try adding something like

$.extend(PM.Query,
{
    parseResult: function(jsonRes, tplName, container) {}
});

in the "custom.js" file of your config dir (probably
"config/default"). After query you need to slightly pan the map to
reload the map with the highlight. If this is acceptable fast then the
bottleneck is  really the JSON parsing and HTML table creation. If so,
you could tweak the JS functions for only displaying a few 100's at a
time and having buttons for swapping to the next set.

Also for your shapefile, I guess you created a spatial index using the
shptree tool ...

Just some ideas

Armin

PS: a query via a unregular polygon is currently not implemented but
could be done using some of the drawing methods of the measure
function (or the draw plugin from Thomas Raffin) together with a
modified query. But  the code was not designed for modular use and you
would need to make some code duplications...