Here are 2 interesting docs concerning migration from MS 5 to MS 6:
- http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/mapscript/php/migration_guide.html (and
particularly
http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/mapscript/php/migration_guide.html#class-methods
and
http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/mapscript/php/migration_guide.html#shapefileobj)
- http://mapserver.org/trunk/MIGRATION_GUIDE.html (here they said that
the shapefileObj::free method has been removed!!)

Maybe the unset call should be sufficient... (not tested)