On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:52:10PM -0700, Sean M. Burke wrote:
> So.  Saying that Pod's canonical "normalization" is as XML begs the
> question of what the XML will look like.
> One point on which I am of two winds is this:
>
> Consider this input:
>
> =head2 Turn-Ons
>
> I like harpsichord music.
>

> Should that produce something minimal like this?
>
>   <head2>Turn-Ons</head>
>   <para>I like harpsichord music.</para>
>
> Or something like this?
>
>  <section2>
>   <head2>Turn-Ons</head>
>   <para>I like harpsichord music.</para>
>  </section2>
>
> The first way /merely/ recapitulates the Pod, which is fine by me.
> But would anyone like the latter?  What are the practical benefits of it?

I vote for the former, even though I prefer the latter.  The transformation
is simple enough to become standard a Pod/SAX filter used only when
required[*].

As long as we're breaking the string-of-pearls nature for =head1/=head2,
why not change the nested format to be <section2>/<title>, or even a

Z.

*: ...assuming that the first style is actually used somewhere meaningful[**];
   otherwise the transform should be inverted.

**: I don't think we've mentioned round-tripping Pod through a SAX interface.
    The minimal SAXification certainly aids this process...