On 04/23/2011 06:23 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
On 04/23/2011 03:12 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
On 04/23/2011 01:09 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
I don't know how to put a table into a pod. One can simulate it by using
as-is formatting, but it's not very good.

There also doesn't appear to be a way to extend the pod language in a
backwards compatible way.

Am I missing something?

You can subclass Pod::Simple to produce a formatter capable of parsing
all normal pod, plus tables. For a good example of this, see
Pod::PseudoPod. The table formatting it uses is demonstrated in:

http://search.cpan.org/~arandal/Pod-PseudoPod-0.16/lib/Pod/PseudoPod/Tutorial.pod#Tables

(Or, perhaps this implementation of tables will be enough for your
purposes, and you won't need your own subclass.)

Allison

That explains how to do it. Thanks. I would like something like this for the core Perl 5 documentation. Are there reasons besides inertia for this to not be shipped with the Perl core?