On 04/23/2011 11:53 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Apr 23, 2011, at 10:09 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:

I was thinking that PseudoPod implemented most of what might be needed, and so
why not ship that.

Its table spec looks quite simple, and perhaps sufficient.

+1

However, in thinking about this some more, I think we need to be able to at least specify centered column headings, and spans. This is easily done with html and tbl.

tbl's is also pretty simple; it allows, without my looking at the
documentation, at least columns that have justification of left, center, and
the default 'alpha' which is essentially left, but I can't remember the
difference, and numeric, so the decimal points line up.  You can also create
spans, and bold, etc.

I expect one can use B<>  and friends within PseudoPod tables, yes?

I do think we should keep Pod as Pod; troff is something else entirely.

The other specification I'm familiar with is html, and it offers far more power
than needed.

Yeah, and one can always =begin html to do that.

Best,

David