Hello Pod People,

I am emailing to provoke discussion on two warnings that Pod::Checker
displays that I think should be removed.

Pod::Checker currently warns if there is an '=item' directive with no
argument (as opposed to '=item *', for example). The description of the
warning is:

"=item without any parameters is deprecated. It should either be followed by
* to indicate an unordered list, by a number (optionally followed by a dot)
to indicate an ordered (numbered) list or simple text for a definition
list."

perlpodspec states "Pod processors must tolerate a bare "=item" as if it
were "=item *"." Is Pod::Checker's behavior still in line with perlpodspec?
Is the use of '=item' without any parameters deprecated? Or should that
warning be removed from Pod::Checker?

The second Pod::Checker warning I am emailing about is "No =items in =over",
which is explained as "The list opened with =over does not contain any
items." The relevant perlpodspec section states:

"An "=over" ... "=back" region containing no "=item" paragraphs at all, and
containing only some number of ordinary/verbatim paragraphs, and possibly
also some nested "=over" ... "=back" regions, "=for..." paragraphs, and
"=begin"..."=end" regions. Such an itemless "=over" ... "=back" region in
Pod is equivalent in meaning to a "<blockquote>...</blockquote>" element in
HTML."

Given that there is clearly a use for =itemless =over/=back blocks, should
it still be a warning? I think no, and instead, Pod::Checker should warn
about an empty =over/=back block, one that contains nothing but whitespace.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Marc