On 11/08/11 10:37 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
Marc Green<pongu...@gmail.com>  writes:

>  Pod::Checker currently warns if there is an '=item' directive with no
>  argument (as opposed to '=item *', for example). The description of the
>  warning is:
>  "=item without any parameters is deprecated. It should either be followed by
>  * to indicate an unordered list, by a number (optionally followed by a dot)
>  to indicate an ordered (numbered) list or simple text for a definition
>  list."
>  perlpodspec states "Pod processors must tolerate a bare "=item" as if it
>  were "=item *"." Is Pod::Checker's behavior still in line with
>  perlpodspec?  Is the use of '=item' without any parameters deprecated?
>  Or should that warning be removed from Pod::Checker?
I'd remove it.  It seems like a style thing to me, and while I personally
prefer =item *, I don't see a good reason to require that.

I'm not sure about that. Although a POD parser should be forgiving, a checker should not. I think it should report things that are not spec even if the parsers accept them.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

Confusion is the first step of understanding.

as it is about coding.

The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.

"Make something worthwhile."  -- Dear Hunter