Patrice Dumas <pertu...@free.fr> writes:

> Then, in my opinion, in that case the pod specification should be
> changed such that X<..> is not referred to as index entries, but anchors
> (or labels).  I think that it certainly makes more sense to have labels
> than index entries in Pod since there is no command to actually print
> the index while there is a good support for any kind of links with L<>.
> Still, I think that it should be one or the other since index entries
> and anchors are really distinct things.

I believe roffitall in the Perl source does attempt to generate an index.

> I guess that candidate converters that could use X<..> are converters to
> formats where index entries exist, such as DocBook and maybe LaTeX.

And *roff, although admittedly there probably aren't that many people who
use Pod::Man to generate printable documents rather than the online man
pages.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>