On 01/29/2012 05:31 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
Patrice Dumas<pertu...@free.fr>  writes:

Then, in my opinion, in that case the pod specification should be
changed such that X<..>  is not referred to as index entries, but anchors
(or labels).  I think that it certainly makes more sense to have labels
than index entries in Pod since there is no command to actually print
the index while there is a good support for any kind of links with L<>.
Still, I think that it should be one or the other since index entries
and anchors are really distinct things.

I believe roffitall in the Perl source does attempt to generate an index.

I guess that candidate converters that could use X<..>  are converters to
formats where index entries exist, such as DocBook and maybe LaTeX.

And *roff, although admittedly there probably aren't that many people who
use Pod::Man to generate printable documents rather than the online man
pages.

I believe that O'Reilly publishing uses X<> to help generate their indices. I could find out for sure if people desire that info.