Shawn H Corey <shawnhco...@gmail.com> writes:

> I agree. It's best to have it conform to the behaviour of the rest and
> have an option of changing that behaviour. Which leads to the question:
> do any of the rest have this option and, if not, should they?

It's directly contrary to the POD specification and the way that POD has
always worked, including the embedded assumptions of thousands of existing
POD documents, so it will take some convincing for me to implement it for
my formatters.  Those facts make it an edge feature that can only be used
by particular individuals with their private documents and could never be
enabled by, say, ExtUtils::MakeMaker, which makes it a low priority for
development and support.

I think a better approach would have been to add a new command (=formatted
or something) that had these semantics rather than changing the
interpretation of existing verbatim paragraphs.

That said, I don't object to pod2html having an option to enable this
behavior.  All the POD formatters have, from time to time, had options to
enable various non-POD features.  But I certainly strenuously object to
having it on by default, since it reinterprets existing documents in ways
that could be destructive.  (For example, it would not format perlpodspec
correctly!)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>