On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 5:38 PM Russ Allbery <r...@cpan.org> wrote:

> Leon Timmermans <faw...@gmail.com> writes:
> > That said, I would really appreciate it if in the future people would
> > talk a bit more with their upstreams when incrementing their perl
> > dependency; this could easily have been not so easy to work around.
>
> Is there a forum in which this sort of conversation takes place?  I would
> be happy to have this discussion; I just don't know where to do it.  Maybe
> perl5-porters, which I haven't been subscribed to for some years (although
> I send release notifications here) because it used to be super-high
> volume, but maybe it's not any more?

I guess p5p would have been the most obvious place to have this discussion
in this particular case. Toolchain doesn't really do email for some reason.

> Anyway, the reason why I thought this was safe is because Pod::Man is part
> of Perl core, so it's always available.  I assume the problem is that
> Module::Build is requesting a later version than what comes with Perl in
> 5.8 (for Unicode support), and CPAN doesn't have the same support that
> PyPI has for providing multiple versions and being able to fall back on an
> older version if the newer version doesn't meet available constraints
> (such as not supporting the current version of Perl)?

Yeah, I can see where that assumption comes from.

> In the future, I would like to be able to use the package NAMESPACE VERSION
> syntax instead of $VERSION and the $foo->@* syntax instead of @{ $foo },
> so eventually it would be nice to require Perl 5.024 or later, although I
> know that's much too aggressive at the moment.

There's an interesting conundrum there. If the toolchain doesn't depend on
any new functionality you're not constrained there, but that also means
that any such new functionality goes largely unused.

Leon