Adobe Reader doesn't re-save PDFs - so perhaps you mean Adobe Acrobat??

Leonard

From: Dennis Jenkins
<dennis.jenkins...@gmail.com<mailto:dennis.jenkins...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM
To:
"podofo-users@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:podofo-users@lists.sourceforge.net>"
<podofo-users@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:podofo-users@lists.sourceforge.net>>
Subject: Re: [Podofo-users] How to reduce Pdf size

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Christophe Meyer
<christophe.meyer.2...@gmail.com<mailto:christophe.meyer.2...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Podofo users,

I am developping a simple software. As a first basis, I would like to duplicate
a pdf file that has been created by my printer (a scanned document). It
consists of a file of 40 pages. It weights 10 Mb and each page of the pdf
document is an image of a scanned document's page.

In my program, I am just copying each page from the original pdf (I load it in
a PdfMemDocument) and then inserts it in another PdfMemDocument with InsertPage.

I just do a Write() at the end.

The file created at the end weighs more than 500 MB!! I searched a lot of
topics. I saw one talking about disabling the embedded fonts. First, I do not
know how to do this as I am not using any fonts and there is no options in the
Write() function in the PdfMemDocument class. So I do not know where to specify
not to embed fonts. Second, I am not convinced this is the problem as it is
only images in the file and no strings attached. Isn't it a problem of bad
compression of the image? Then How should I proceed?

I am really sorry for the dumb question but as you can see, I am a beginner in
C++. I will really appreciate any kind of help.

Christophe

Hello Christophe,

    This is not a dumb question.  I am dealing with this too, expect my source
documents are PDFs of federal and state tax forms (ex: USA Federal 941, Arizona
UC-018, etc...).  My resulting PDFs are significantly larger than the
originals.  Further, if I open my derived PDF in Adobe Reader, then save it,
the resulting PDF is much smaller.

    I have been analyzing both PDFs in "podofo-browser" to see if I can
determine why/how Adobe Reader makes it much smaller.  Unfortunately, I have
not had success yet.  Addressing this issue is not a super high priority for me
at this time.

    I have considered writing a program that uses podofo and tinyxml2 to dump a
PDF as an XML document.  I could then dump both PDFs and run them through an
XML diff utility.

    Please Humor me and do an experiment.  Open your huge PDF in adobe reader,
then save it.  Does the file size shrink significantly?