Hello Mattia, hello Dominik, hello all,
> On 13 July 2018 at 14:30 Mattia Rizzolo <mat...@mapreri.org> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 08:17:31AM +0200, Dominik Seichter via Podofo-users
> wrote:
> > I tagged the podofo-0.9.6 release already and also provided the tarball on
> > sourceforge. There was no official announcement though, yet.
>
> Right, and I already stumbled on the first issue (that wasn't in the
> rc1): https://sourceforge.net/p/podofo/mailman/message/36363656/ :)
> > I still think we should release 0.9.6, as the status of 0.9.6 is not worse
> > than 0.9.5 (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG HERE!).

PoDoFo 0.9.5 was released despite these 5 crashes:
https://sourceforge.net/p/podofo/mailman/message/35640936/ which then got CVE
IDs
whereas in PoDoFo 0.9.6 there are 11 CVEs unfixed:
CVE-2018-5783 [1], CVE-2018-6253 [2], CVE-2018-8002 [3],
CVE-2018-11254 [4], CVE-2018-11255 [5], CVE-2018-11256 [6],
CVE-2018-12982 [7] whose description is IMO incorrect (the actual bug is 1-2
levels
up the stack, please see PoDoFo issue #22), CVE-2018-12983 [8] and three ones
mistakenly declared fixed in the Debian libpodofo change log (see below).

> > Nonetheless, we should concentrate on fixing CVEs in a follow-up release. If
> > fixes are ready, I can provide another release 0.9.7 in short time.
That sounds good. A security-update release would usually use a four-component
version number, i.e. 0.9.6.1 here, no? On the other hand: I'd like to introduce
other crash/exception fixes too (for PdfOutlineItem and podofocolor) ...

> I agree. I mean, it's a pity that there are known security
> vulnerability, but at this point several months (year+ really) passed
> and continue cherry-picking is not so great after a while.
> Not to mention, I fear the CVEs are going to keep coming...
> > On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Matthew Brincke <ma...@mailbox.org> wrote:
> > > firstly I apologize (especially in case the delay in reaction
> > > on my part is the reason PoDoFo 0.9.6 was released with CVEs
> > > unfixed, for some of them see below in the original message)
> > > for having been busy with another project and not squeezing
> > > this in-between,
>
> I don't think you should apologize for any of this.
Thank you.
> > > I also was unsure about you (Mattia) possibly being on vacation.
>
> Alas, I'm not able to go on vacation long enough for anybody to noticeā€¦
> :(
I feel sorry for you (and tired ;-( ) ...

> > > (in the Debian changelog they had been
> > > mistakenly declared as fixed, and I didn't dare to send a 2nd
> > > e-mail or a bug report: I now fear this was wrong of me, so I
> > > apologize).
>
> Apart from the situation in wheezy (which can't be changed anymore), I
> believe everything is fine now - at least in debian's git (pending the
> fix for the thing above). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not just "the situation in wheezy": CVE-2017-738[123] are still
unfixed in 0.9.6 (upstream tag RELEASE_0_9_6) and therefore also in Debian
unstable (@Mattia: please don't upload until at least these 3 are fixed, I
can do that, possibly already this weekend, @Dominik: any objections?) and
experimental (the rc1).

In short: I'd like it more if 0.9.6 was the -rc2 for it ;-) ... because then
a future 0.9.6 (even last number) could be a stable/no known bugs release,
and the next one, 0.9.7 (odd last number) a development release like 0.9.5 ...
I'm sorry for having neglected to write that before so you (Dominik) couldn't
know I had hoped for that ... ;-)
I'm also rueful for having put off fixing bugs until you (Dominik) made sure
no further ones could go in 0.9.6 by tagging it, of course. I actually feel
punished by having been surprised by it (there was not even a warning by
private e-mail some days in advance, even if no public one was made).

> --
> regards,
>  Mattia Rizzolo

Best regards, mabri