On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 15:16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was trying to make it work with HTTPS, and after a few rounds
> gave up on it. If turning non-blocking connects off does not help,
> fork a process and run LWP or LWP::PUA in it. Or try PoCoCl::HTTP.
>
> There may be a different way to create or handle sockets that
> could improve things a bit, but otherwise I don't think it's an LWP
> or LWP::PUA or PoCoCl::UA problem. The underlying SSL libraries
> just don't like non-blocking sockets at all. You can try filing bugs
> against them.

Interesting, in fact, I have done that.  I have a component that runs in
POE::Wheel::Run that calls LWP, and use Cache::Cache to pass back the
response.  I consider it a kludge though.

The curious part is, if the problem is the underlying SSL library.  Then
how does PoCoCL::HTTP work with it at all?  You see the conflict in this
logic.  After all, the same SSL libray is used.

> But the other thing is, the way LWP and LWP::PUA are designed it's
> pretty much impossible to make them truly POE-friendly. For
> example, an FTP request will block for the entire duration of the
> connection establishment phase. So a future version of PoCoCl::UA
> should do away with the LWP dependency entirely.

To do away w/ LWP totally may not be so easy.  One reason is that it has
become somewhat of a standard.  People expect the same API's for the
request, response, and UserAgent.  I wonder whether it's possible to
change the low level code so a fix similar to what PoCoCl::HTTP uses can
be adapted.

Pete