This has come at an opportune time, since I'm having to do something similar with DBI
and 30 Oracle or Sybase instances (read Server for Sybase) per Unix host, with 1200+
hosts, where I connect and monitor a table (poll) and once data appears, grab it and
send across the world from many locations (including Singapore with a 122mS latency)
to London

I'm working on a non-Wheel::Run basis at present, but think I may have to spawn off
the transfer (I'll let you know).

One thing - connecting to an instance can involve up to 7 seconds (even from a local
host), so you don't want to keep dropping in and out.

Thanks for all the unlooked for comments - helped me a lot
--
David Ferrington, Database Services,
perotsystems (tm)

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com