On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:18:27AM -0700, Tofu Optimist wrote:
> [1] I've upgraded to 0.63, and still get the error.

That bites.  I've written a test case that tries connecting to
nonexistent addresses and sites that respond slower than the
component's Timeout, but I can't get it to reproduce the error on
demand.

If you could enable the DEBUG constant in PoCo::Client::HTTP and
capture the results, please send me the last few hundred lines before
it dies.  Like a flight recorder, it'll let me analyze the events
leading up to the component crashing.

If you decide to do this, please mail the log to me
directly---everyone on the list doesn't need a copy. :)

> [2] There's also a bug in line 1165: a missing space
> after 'delete'.

Typo fixed in development, thanks.

> [3] Also, at times the website being check starts
> issuing http status codes 500 responses for valid
> pages -- could this mean I am checking pages too
> quickly?  The 500s come in batches, then go away.

That sounds like a good guess.  You could put in a little delay
between requests, perhaps 1/4 second, and see if that helps.  You
could also catch the 500s and feed them back into your queue, delaying
a little while to let the server catch its breath.

Actually, the server should report a 503 if it's busy.  Maybe you're
not hurting the server's load average as much as exhausting some other
resource.  Maybe a database is overheating, refusing connections, and
causing the web interface to crash.

There's an easy way to tell if you're damaging a server: The sheriff
delivers your mail. :)

-- Rocco Caputo