A little alias cleanup isn't that difficult to fathom. When you are
through with the session just alias_remove(). I would go so far as to
say that is pretty standard fair when making sure POE cleans up after
itself.

As for the performance bit, I was only able to get around 250 or so
active TLS connections (each represented as their own session) going
in my XMPP-Core server implementation before the CPU was redlining and
I couldn't handle the load to handshake more connections (they would
timeout). Granted, this was on a 800mhz duron with 256MB of ram, with
the load tester on the same machine...

On 6/9/06, Apocalypse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris Fedde wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:10:48 +0100  Nick Williams wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | I never knew about POE::Devel::Profiler and I'm learning rapidly about
>  | it now with my own visualizer. Most cool. However it highlights
>  | something I've wanted for a while: names on sessions. I'm just referring
>  | to something symbolic that can be attached to sessions in order to work
>  | out in debuggers/profilers what's going on instead of session ID's like
>  | '4822813', but without the side-effects that aliases have. Is there a
>  | way of doing this? If not, could it be in an enhancement request?
>  +------------------
>
> >From POE::Kernel
>
>     # Set an alias for the current session.
>     $status = $kernel->alias_set( $alias );
>
> See also the section titled
>
>     "Numeric Session IDs and Symbolic Session Names (Aliases)"
>
> I guess that it's a bit odd that it's a Kernel method until you realize
> where the info about an alias needs to go
>
> --
> Chris Fedde

The side-effects Nick was talking about is that aliases will make the
session live indefinitely, and I'm sure that will screw up a lot of
programs out there :(

Nick, I believe you can make a rfc for something like
$session->label_sess( "foo" );

I don't think that will be a disruptive change, and somebody could
implement it quickly...

--
Apocalypse

Homepage:       http://JiNxEdStAr.0ne.us