On 10 March 2010 18:02, Bruce Ferrell <bferr...@baywinds.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 08:24 AM, p...@0ne.us wrote:
>> Winfried Neessen wrote:
>>> Now I'd like to run it independently, so my question is, is there an
>>> easy way for me to run a POE
>>>
>>> script daemonized (w/o having to use Unix backgrounding/forking)?

> Below is the code I use.  It's a slightly modified version I found when
> I googled for Perl daemon

No no. This is not the approach. You're WRITING THIS CODE YOURSELF
RATHER THAN USING A CPAN MODULE. I hope you have lots of tests for
this wheel...

BTW, I'd need a copy of Stevens handy to be sure, but I recall that
the canonical unix daemonisation dance goes:
double fork
close standard file descriptors
become session leader (POSIX::setsid IIRC)
become process group leader (POSIX::setpgrp IIRC)
set signal mask to ignore SIGHUP
change working dir to root
set file creation mask (umask)
drop privileges

I might well be missing a step. I think you did, too, though.

/joel