My recommendation is that we follow the development evolution that the
other POI components have followed.  Each started out kinda read only,
morphed into doing a bit more write than read and then efficiency (the
event-based stuff) came MUCH much later.  Might sound kinda unambitious
but its worked up to now (less of a plan then just the pattern that
kinda evolved).

IMO:

First step is structuring this into an object model instead of straight
utility.  Make it use the standard library functions that exist in POI -
POIFS vs the NewOleFile and LittleEndian instead of Util...  Then we
work on simple writing functions verifying as we go along that Word can
still read the file.  Most things started out with a read only version
then quickly become *more write then read* then re-generalized then
became more efficient....

But thats just my recommendation...  You're pretty dern bright to work
through all that and figure out FO!  So I'm guessing whatever direction
you think is good will work!  If you think we should start off with an
event based API -- works for me..  For writing we'll need a DOMish API,
but either way I'm far more confident now that we'll get this done by
late April/early May then I ever was before!

Thanks for joining us!

-Andy

--
www.superlinksoftware.com