From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> NKB,
>
> Can you give us a summary or some doco on how to use/configure the new
> logging stuff?  Ultimately we'll need to update the how-tos but an email
> would be sufficient for now.

See
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/org/apache/commons/logging/pac
kage-summary.html

What happens is that no logger is found, it automatically defaults to the
null logger.
If it finds the log4j package in classpath, *and* the properties (src/java),
it logs according to those properties.
As for now it uses a log file for each package; change at will.

For the use of other logging packages, read the above referenced document;
IMHO it's best for us to give log4j as optional and use patches for other
loggers if needed.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -