From: "T.J. Mather" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Would there be any interest in having a C++ library developed in parallel
> with the Java POI libraries, including POIFS, HSSF, HDF?  The idea would
> be similar to how Xerces C++ and Java work, sharing a similar API and
> code structure.
>
> This way we would use POI in the various open-source office suites,
> including KOffice, and we could write wrappers to POI in Perl and other
> scripting languages.
>
> Dealing with MS Office file formats is hard, so I think it makes a lot
> of sense to combine all efforts across all languages into one project.
> It seems a lot easier to translate Java code to C++ than it is to grok the
> MS Office formats, and it would help the Java project too, because bugs
> found with the MS format could be applied to both C++ and Java packages.

:-)

What you propose is nice, although we would need to see where to position
the codebase, since Jakarta is for "solutions for the Java Platform"
(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mission.html).

<TOL>
What about exposing the POI API to C++ while keeping the codebase in Java?
</TOL>

            - verba volant, scripta manent -