Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>From: "T.J. Mather" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>Would there be any interest in having a C++ library developed in parallel
>>with the Java POI libraries, including POIFS, HSSF, HDF?  The idea would
>>be similar to how Xerces C++ and Java work, sharing a similar API and
>>code structure.

+1   I would totally be *for* this!  If it were in C and not C++.

>>This way we would use POI in the various open-source office suites,
>>including KOffice, and we could write wrappers to POI in Perl and other
>>scripting languages.

Which are largely written in C and not C++

Some challanges:

There is already a PERL module on CPAN for OLE2CDF.
And proponents of the GPL generally feel that APL software is *legally
incompatible*

>>Dealing with MS Office file formats is hard, so I think it makes a lot
>>of sense to combine all efforts across all languages into one project.
>>It seems a lot easier to translate Java code to C++ than it is to grok the
>>MS Office formats, and it would help the Java project too, because bugs
>>found with the MS format could be applied to both C++ and Java packages.

or well written Object-Oriented C.  (yes one can write Object Oriented
software in non oop langauges)

>:-)
>
>What you propose is nice, although we would need to see where to position
>the codebase, since Jakarta is for "solutions for the Java Platform"
>(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mission.html).

True, but there are things on Jakarta that are somewhat outside its
mission.   What I'd like to do is this (if the offer is serious and I'll
support this in C but not C++ -- more discussion I'm sure will ensue but
my reasons are sound):

1. House a C version in a special *contrib* area.
2. Work on automatic code generation as much as possible.

><TOL>
>What about exposing the POI API to C++ while keeping the codebase in Java?
></TOL>

-1 - Yuck.  And virtually impossible to do well in a memory-constrained
cross-platform manner.

Bottom line: lets not be pedantic.  Jakarta = Java but POI is POI and
well if POI grows into a bigger project and into other langauges so be
it.  POI's mission is to open up the file formats big and wide.  I can
see myself coming to need a C version.

So my "conditions" for supporting this

1. C not C++
2. Code generation be used wherever possible (Java->C, XML->C)
3. C++ can be implemented via light wrappers (see gtk++) around the C
4. for now (until we overcome the political and pedantic logistical
issues Jakarta==Java, etc) it live in a *special contrib* section and
not be advertised *TOOOO prominantly* on the the homepage.
5. The proposer take a serious role in this and recruit at least 1 other
person to help.  I don't want this to drain from the other efforts. .
Just complement it.

Lets discuss this some more.  I'm sure some of the folks on here may
have strong opinions about this. In the end I think community, code and
pragmatism should reign.  Not pedantics (Jakarta==Java != C) and
logistics (housing a C project).  But again, it depends on your
committment TJ.  I'm all for helping YOU do this, and will probably
eventually come around to contributing.  But I'm not for this being a
"recommendation of something for US to do on our own" ... we've got
pleanty of work to do as it is.  (Formulas, Graphs, Pivot Tables,
NIO-MemoryMapped file alternative scheme, constricted memory scheme,
Word Documents, PowerPoint....  yes I know some of these have not been
mentioned....you'll see soon... later release...later ;-) ).  So if this
sounds like the 5th degree -- sorry but how committed are you to this TJ?

-Andy