Since this is turning into a C vs C++ discussion I couldn't resist
commenting.

I have worked on large projects that are written in C. Maintenance is a
complete mess. It is no fun trying to track down that one function
implementation through 150 source files. At least with C++, the
functionality is encapsulated and there is some sort of organization..

> > The usage from C applications is a very valid point.  To me this is the
> > strongest argument against using C++.

I don't really understand this. Maybe if  you have someone that refuses to
use a C++ compiler instead of a C compiler. I guarantee ALL C++ compilers
will compile a pure C program perfectly just not vice versa. Even if someone
wants to use their C compiler they could link to a library that used C
functions to expose the C++ implementation.

> I'm willing to compromise and gen C++ wrappers around the C code
I think it should be the other way around so it could be placed in a shared
library and linked to from a C program. To me, C++ is just C in an object
oriented wrapper so there is no point in wrapping C code with C++ because
that is what C++ already does.

> BAH HUMBUG!  C++ features are really BUGS in disguise.
I agree, C++ specific features are buggy (operator overloading, try-catch,
etc) and I try to never use them. C++ can be C with a different memory
management model, it is really up to the programmer.

C and C++ are both crappy and it has nothing to with whether or not its
object oriented. It is because there are a million different ways to confuse
the hell out of people that have to maintain the code once it is written.
Some people use tons of #define macros others use massive hierarchy of
include files. Some people use Hungarian notation others don't. Some people
use function arguments as return values. I have never seen a C or C++
program that was easy to maintain.