On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Daniel Noll wrote:
I created a simple PowerPoint document with some comments in it so that I could poke around the API and try to figure out where the comments were stored. I started to think that the class called Notes in the API stored the PowerPoint comments.
Okay, I understand now that this was wrong. :-)

Yup. Notes are the notes for a slide (that sit underneath the main slide)

But I still do need to get at the comments. Does anyone have some pointers to some documentation so that I might try adding comment extraction support to HSLF?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "comments", could you describe how to add them in powerpoint?

To figure out the record(s) for a comment, do the following:
* take a single page PPT document without them
* save it via "save as" (this ensures it doesn't do an update/partial
   save, which leads to more complex record ordering + record duplication)
* add in a single comment
* save it via "save as"
* compare the output of the various org.apache.poi.hslf.dev classes
   (either PPTXMLDump, or SlideShowDumper, depending on which format you
    find easier to understand)
* see what new records have shown up

If you can't make sense of these, then open a new bugzilla entry, and attach these two PPT files. I can then take a look, and let you know what areas to look in

Nick