Hello list

I am playing around with Senderbase (www.senderbase.org) and want to integrate
it into policyd-weight. Currently I am using Net::SenderBase
(http://search.cpan.org/~msergeant/Net-SenderBase-1.01/) and it works very
well. The information of the returned codes of Senderbase are not anymore
online but can be read on the web archive
(http://web.archive.org/web/20040830010414/http://www.senderbase.org/dnsresponses.html).

In SpamAssassin they had used two calculations for scoring with data from
Senderbase:
# SenderBase information <http://www.senderbase.org/dnsresponses.html>
# these are experimental example rules

# sa.senderbase.org for SpamAssassin queries
# query.senderbase.org for other queries
header __SENDERBASE eval:check_rbl_txt('sb', 'sa.senderbase.org.')
tflags __SENDERBASE net

# S23 = domain daily magnitude, S25 = date of first message from this domain
header SB_NEW_BULK              eval:check_rbl_sub('sb', 'sb:S23 > 6.2 && (time
- S25 < 120*86400)')
describe SB_NEW_BULK            Sender domain is new and very high volume
tflags SB_NEW_BULK              net

# S5 = category, S40 = IP daily magnitude, S41 = IP monthly magnitude
# note: accounting for rounding, "> 0.3" means at least a 59% volume spike
header SB_NSP_VOLUME_SPIKE      eval:check_rbl_sub('sb', 'sb:S5 =~ /NSP/ && S41
> 3.8 && S40 - S41 > 0.3')
describe SB_NSP_VOLUME_SPIKE    Sender IP hosted at NSP has a volume spike
tflags SB_NSP_VOLUME_SPIKE      net

Does any one have experience with Senderbase data? What other values could be
useful for scoring?

When I look at Senderbase (for example:
http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=24.216.190.165)
 then I see that they calculate a "Vol Change vs. Last Month" per IP. How is
that done? Does any one know that (I can't find the values for "Last Month" in
the result from Senderbase)?

I think it would be great to include Senderbase into policyd-weight since it is
basically one DNS lookup with a lot of possible scoring values (IronPort uses
60 calculations for scoring with their product). The Net::SenderBase module
could be avoided by directly querying the TXT record  at senderbase.org and
policyd-weight already has DNS lookup functionality. On the other hand
Net::SenderBase has a nice way to query data over HTTP if needed.

What is your opinion on this? Could that be useful for us policyd-weight users?

// Steve