Steve,

Sorry, coding is a bit beyond me, and I couldn't comment on the code block
with any authority!

However, I /am/ building polipo myself using a standard OpenWrt build
environment running on Ubuntu.

I /have not/ made any changes to the compiler optimizations, just selecting
targets & packages, and a few optimizations for busybox (trading size for
speed), example:
  CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_generic_UBNTRSPRO=y
  CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_MD5_SMALL
  CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-ssl=y

Then:
  make -j 3

I guess I could test with the current RC for Barrier Breaker, or the
current release of Attitude Adjustment, in which case I would be using
their pre-compiled polipo package (I dont know if AA uses v1.1.1, though).

(I am including your response in my email because I CC'd you directly
rather than via the list)