Juliusz,

I am not sure if I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me, so I
will recap.

I have been using the OpenWrt BB nightlies with polipo v1.1.1-1 and
(although apparently correctly configured) it never writes out to the disk
cache!  All the strace output have provided are only from this
configuration.  FWIW, I have been building the OpenWrt images (i.e.
openwrt-*-sysupgrade.bin) myself (but I make no changes to the polipo
source code).

(just the once only) I tried OpenWrt AA with polipo v1.0.4.1-1 using the
same configuration (i.e. to test my /etc/config/polipo), and I had no
problems (i.e. it successfully wrote out to the disk cache).

I also discovered that polipo is /not/ in the list of packages for BB RC1 &
RC2 (!), although it is in the nightly snapshots.  I don't know why this
is, but I guess it is worth chasing?

I am very keen to get polipo working on BB, so if there's anything else
you'd like me to do, just let me know