>       I’d like to share a few thoughts regarding this update to [1].

I've rephrased "polipo is obsolete" to "polipo is no longer maintained".

>> Since then, the web has changed, and HTTP proxies are no longer useful:
>> most traffic is encrypted, and a web proxy merely acts as a dumb
>> intermediary for encrypted traffic.

>       I guess it’s possible to use ‘sslstrip’ as the parent proxy to
>       Polipo to overcome this issue.

MITM the SSL in the proxy?  SSL is designed to be end-to-end, by MITM-ing
it you're breaking browsers' expectations -- stuff will break, I promise.

>       Also to note is that Tor “hidden services” – and that includes
>       HTTP servers – virtually never rely on TLS, as Tor already
>       provides encryption and remote identity checking.

Right.

>> • if you need your HTTP traffic to originate from a remote IP
>> address, use a VPN or a SOCKS5 proxy;

>       I know of no easy way to route HTTP(S) traffic originating from
>       different user agent processes via different VPNs (some of the
>       command-line HTTP clients aside.)

Yeah, it's tricky.  "ip[6]tables -m owner --gid-owner", and sg the user-agent.
Or perhaps "ip[6]tables -m cgroup".

>       Also, SOCKS5 support in Web user agents seems a tad uncommon.  (I
>       don’t see it implemented in GNU Wget, for example.)

Use curl?

>> • if you need HTTP/1.1 pipelining, you're out of luck.  The official
>> answer is "use HTTP/2 instead",

>       Where is that stated?

That's what I was told when I complained about lack of pipelining in Go's
HTTP library.  I've rephrased the page.

>> but HTTP/2 will remain only moderately useful until it has good
>> support for either unencrypted connections or opportunistic
>> encryption.

>       Given the general lack of interest in supporting non-TLS HTTP/2,
>       I’d say that HTTP/1.1-only caching proxies will still be
>       relevant for the foreseeable future.

Agreed.  Ivan, while *I* am not going to work on Polipo any more, the code
is still available -- I'd be thrilled to see somebody take it over.

-- Juliusz