>       My guess is that there’re a number of other software packages
>       that do implement support for HTTP proxies, but not SOCKS.

My point is that if you're tunnelling and not doing any caching, SOCKS5 is
a simpler and cleaner protocol than HTTP CONNECT.  If clients don't
support SOCKS5 well, then they should be fixed.

Now it turns out that Polipo's support for HTTP CONNECT is pretty solid
and reasonably efficient, so you should be able to use Polipo for
tunnelling HTTPS just fine -- it's just a little overkill for that.

-- Juliusz