How in the name of God did George Tenet fail to notice long, long ago that the
neocons -- Straussians and Machiavellians to the bone -- hold honor, decency
and truthfulness in contempt, and would eagerly stab him in the back and hang
him out to dry at the first available opportunity?  Does Tenet even now
understand what he was up against, and what the United States is still up
against as we speak?  I think not.  He is fairly smart, but not nearly smart
enough -- basically a bureaucrat without much imagination.  But he gets major
points for his skepticism about the crackbrained and evil schemes of the
neocons.  His name can be crossed off the list of possible 9/11 conspirators,
along with every other foreign policy realist who has been the target of neocon
hatred and vile personal attacks.

LeaNder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:           Doesn't exactly make me want to
read his book.  [who is his PR advisor? who publishes his book]

" TENET: President's chief of staff — Hi, Andy. I said, you know, we believe —
I believed that he had weapons of mass destruction and now what's happened here
is, is you've gone out and made me look stupid.It's the most despicable thing
I've ever heard in my life. Men of honordon't do this."

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry reading this. Another boring member of the
mass society.

So I am to believe that a journalist like Bob Simon knows more about Iraq and
Saddam than the head of the CIA?? Very, very peculiar???

To slightly modify Justin Raimondo: Oh poor puppy , come here, come to mama.

Tenet interview

  (transcript below the fold…)

BLITZER: Former CIA Director Georgetenet is blasting the Bush administration.
He says it made him ascapegoat for the war in Iraq, ruined his reputation, and
ended hiscareer. Tonight CBS News is releasing more excerpts from the
Tenetinterview that will air on "60 Minutes." At issue here a remark
Tenetacknowledges he made in a reference to weapons of mass destruction inIraq.
He said and I'm quoting now — "it's a slam-dunk case".
  According to CBS, Tenet says he doesn't believe that a slam-dunkcomment
influenced President Bush's decision to go to war. But he saysthat's the
message that was sent when his remarked was leaked to thejournalist Bob
Woodward. Tenet says he was taking out of context and hecomplained to the White
House.
  (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
  GEORGE TENET, FORMER CIA DIRECTOR: I remember picking up the phoneand calling
Andy Card, who is a terrific human being and somebody I'vealways trusted…
  UNIDENTIFIED MALE: President's chief of staff at the time.
  TENET: President's chief of staff — Hi, Andy. I said, you know, webelieve — I
believed that he had weapons of mass destruction and nowwhat's happened here
is, is you've gone out and made me look stupid.It's the most despicable thing
I've ever heard in my life. Men of honordon't do this.
  UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Men of honor don't do this.
  TENET: You don't do this. You don't throw people overboard. Youdon't call do
this — you don't call somebody in. You work your heartout. You show up every
day. You're going to throw somebody overboardjust because it's a deflection. Is
that honorable?
  It's not honorable to me. OK and that's how I feel. Now had ithappened and
who orchestrated it and what happened, you know, at theend of the day the only
thing that you have is trust and honor in thisworld. It's all you have. All you
have is your reputation built ontrust and your personal honor. When you don't
have that anymore, wellyou know there you go. Trust was broken.
  UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Between you and the White House.
  TENET: You bet. You bet.