Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: Report from SemTech
2008 & the Semantic Web via Alt Search Engines by Guest Author on
5/21/08

By: Mark Johnson

Carla already did a great writeup of the panel I was on yesterday, so I
won’t bother taping out my disjointed thoughts. However, I was at the
SD Forum Semantic Web SIG panel last night (hosted at the Semantic
Technology Conference) entitled, Will Semantics Give Web Search a Face
Lift.

A common theme at this conference seems to be on the semantics of
“semantic,” and I found the problem to be especially apparent on this
panel. Oddly enough, there were no demos, but here’s a summary of the
panelists’ opinions. Consider the following:

- Healthline (Dr. AJ Chen) - since Dr. Chen was moderating, his brief
slides focused on what a semantic search solution looks like under the
hood. Specifically, Healthline has health-specific ontologies that
they’re using for refinement, improved results, and improved ads.
Though I think Healthline’s solution is very intersting, this is a
pretty much the standard ontology implementation for vertical search
companies. Semantic web = vertical ontologies used in a vertical domain.
- Google (Dr. Fernando Pereira) - Dr. Pereira seemed to have been
sufficiently brainwashed by Google’s Borg culture. Though he admitted
that Google is looking into next-generation technologies, his slides
were a laundry list of why-not reasons: lexical information always lags
behind real world usage, ontologies are messy, categorization schemes
are difficult (impossible?) to create, annotations are noisy and
potential spam channels. He cited utilitarian philosophy as Google’s
mantra: the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Semantic
web = interesting ideas, but I don’t care unless it shows a marked
improvement in horizontal results and can scale immediately to the
entire Web.
- Yahoo (Dr. Peter Mika) - this talk was the closest to the standard
W3C version of the Semantic Web. Through Search Monkey, Yahoo is
enabling content publishers to produce rich abstracts in their search
results. The idea is to provide a better user experience in search
results, allowing users to get from “do to done faster.” Semantic Web =
encouraging publishers to use standards and using them to improve
search result listings.
- Hakia (Dr. Christian Hempelmann) - Dr. Hempelmann’s slides began with
a sigh about needing beer. Fair enough. His slides then talked about
what he doesn’t consider semantics: proximity, syntax, 80% solutions,
small incremental improvements. In contrast, he argued that Hakia’s
extensive ontology was the only way to get to true semantics. Semantic
Web = our way or the highway.
Wow! Four people on a panel, essentially talking past each other.
Luckily, Dr. Ron Kaplan, our beloved Chief Science Officer from
Powerset, made some important comments. First, he noted that his
(admittedly biased) version of the Semantic Web could be called the
“Syntactic Web,” i.e., that structural relationships are a necessary
condition for finding meaning. He worried that some of the panelists
were saying “Search is good enough. Semantics can’t get us to God’s Own
search engine. Therefore, Semantics isn’t worthwhile.” Ron pointed out
that if semantics can get us better search results, the real question
is whether it’s good enough for users to appreciate the difference
without them rebelling because it isn’t perfect. My favorite quote
related to this point was: “We know that stupidity scales. That’s not
the problem. The question is: can we do better than that?” (thanks to
Uldis for capturing this on Twitter)

So, the panel was basically four people talking past each other, plus
some pointed comments from Ron to keep things lively. On one end of the
spectrum, Google seems to poo-poo semantics and NLP, generally. On the
other side, Hakia seemed to be promoting a dogmatic view of what
semantics is supposed to be. Yahoo sits somewhere in the middle, trying
to use approved technologies to improve results incrementally.
Healthline uses targeted ontologies to improve their vertical, but with
little chance to improve Web search generally.

My Powerset-influenced opinion is that either extreme is wrong; that a
general solution over incremental vertical improvements is key to
overhauling Web search; that being open is better than being dogmatic;
that a “semantic” web search will include semantics, syntax,
statistics, and god knows what else; and that none of the major players
seems are outwardly focused on this direction.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Alt Search Engines using Google Reader
favorite sites