From: Keith In Tampa <keithinta...@gmail.com>
To: politicalforum <PoliticalForum@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2010 12:34:45 PM
Subject: Los Angeles Approves Arizona Travel Boycott

I am just flat out amazed by this.   First, I am amazed, because such a boycott
by the City of Los Angeles is unconstitutional on its face.  Such a boycott is
in direct violation of Article 1, Section 10 of the United States Constitution,
and the Governor of "Cal-i-forn-i-a"  should immediately strike this boycott
post haste, as well as the Congress sending a letter of censure to the Mayor
and City Counsel of Los Angeles.

Note, that none of our liberal, or Libertarian members who purportedly hold the
Constitution dear, have chosen to comment or condemn this unconstitutional act!!

========

Los Angeles approves Arizona travel boycott
By Alan Duke, CNN
May 13, 2010 -- Updated 1646 GMT (0046 HKT)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/05/13/los.angeles.arizona.boycott/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

(CNN) -- The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of
Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a
new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.
Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have
already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new
contracts with Arizona companies.
The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at
all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the
process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.
The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law
"encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of
due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and
visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."
The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56
million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.
The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is
opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean
Truck Program," it said.
"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse
effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the
analyst wrote.
The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless
special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm
city interests."
The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's
$18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other
groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev.
Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the
Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.
Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say
it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime
involving illegal immigrants.