Julia knew what he wanted and rubbing Nick's back once under his jacket,
knowing it would upset him to see what she was about to do but wanting to
comfort him because she knew she had to do it, she stood and went to the
table. She looked back at Derek who moved to her side and typed in the
security code, lowering the field, before looking back at the key.
They each watched as, with fingers steadier than she thought was possible
right now, she reached out and picked up the jade key, holding it for a
brief moment before moving to put the necklace it was on around her neck.
Derek clenched his jaw and did the same with the key was to protect, looking
at Julia with a determined expression. He would die before letting anything
happen to her and knew the others felt the same.
She smiled tremulously and hugged him, whispering low in his ear "I know."
Then parted to stand beside Nick, slipping her hand into his. She couldn't
explain it but she felt like they were stronger this time and that, as long
as they stayed united, they would make it through it this time.
'They' had promised her as much.
Alex stood back silently for a moment, mostly trying to get up her nerve.
She wasn't anxious to go through this again. That little thing about
history repeating itself kept coming back to her. But there was also
someone who said that those who do not learn from the past are doomed to
repeat it. She thought it would be better to go with that. Moving forward
she took her key and slipped it over her head. She gave Julia another
reassuring hug and moved towards the door glancing at Philip. "I'll get the
car, I have an idea where they were going."
She slipped out and went downstairs. Where she found Dominic and got the
message about dinner. Before heading out to the car, she stopped ant hit
the intercom button. "Derek, Rachel called a little while ago and she and
Kat are planning to go home...when we find them do you want me to bring them
back here or just follow them and make sure they get there all right. We've
all been invited for dinner and I'm supposed to take Kat's bear, so I
thought I should find out before I we leave."
Alex