On 24/11/2011 17:34, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
Yes, it is quite common to have an autoconf option like
--with-system-libffi to force linking to an existing shared library.  I
don't think there would be any objection to that.

I've now added libffi to the Poly/ML source. I was trying to find a good name for the option to select building without the internal version of libffi and --with-system-libffi seemed a good choice. So, if ./configure is run without any option it will use the version included in the source. If --with-system-libffi is given it tries to use pkg-config to find libffi and if that fails it looks for the library and header files using the default paths. With a bit of luck that should mean that Poly/ML will build without needing anything special on all the platforms we support.

David