On 15/11/17 09:58, David Matthews wrote:
On 15/11/2017 17:10, Rob Arthan wrote:
1) On Mac OS (and presumably any system with clang as the C compiler), the
configure script gives a warning. (I just let this go by and nothing seems to
have gone wrong.)

checking for C compiler vendor... clang

* WARNING: Don't know the best CFLAGS for this system  *
* Use ./configure CFLAGS=... to specify your own flags *
* (otherwise, a default of CFLAGS=-O3 will be used)    *

I have seen this myself when building, remotely, on Mac OS X.  I don't know if this is something that should be fixed or not.

I have not tried the pre-release 5.7.1, but this warning is also reproducible on Linux with previous versions as described in [0]. I noticed no ill effects resulting from this, but perhaps the final output is not as tuned as it could be.

  [0]: http://lists.inf.ed.ac.uk/pipermail/polyml/2017-September/002057.html