On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, at 15:36, Makarius wrote:
> Dear Windows experts

That should rule me out, but I'll reply anyway!

> the task is to build the Poly/ML such that:
>
>   * the build works on the command-line / in batch mode
>
>   * the resulting poly.exe is a command-line tool, not a Windows desktop
> application.
> [...]
> I wonder if it would be better to use the free community version of
> Visual Studio instead: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads

I succeeded in building a command-line (console rather than Windows subsystem)
executable of Poly/ML using Visual Studio following the suggestions from David
in this thread http://lists.inf.ed.ac.uk/pipermail/polyml/2017-May/002006.html

I was still running the build itself from the Visual Studio GUI, but I would
imagine the msbuild tool can do it from project files without GUI intervention.

One problem is that this of course requires (small) modifications to the local
copy rather than working straight from a repo checkout.

Chris