>From http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2011/11-113.shtml...

USCCB News Release

11-113
May 26, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Church to Observe Pope’s 60th Anniversary of Ordination June 29
Catholics urged to participate in 60 hours of Eucharistic adoration
Called to pray for vocations
USCCB vocations office offers prayer card on the Web

WASHINGTON (May 26, 2011)—Catholics worldwide are asked to mark the sixtieth
anniversary of Pope Benedict XVI’s ordination to the priesthood with sixty
hours of Eucharistic prayer for vocations.

The pope will celebrate his anniversary June 29, the Solemnity of St. Peter and
Paul.  In honor of his anniversary, the Vatican Congregation for Clergy
suggested Catholic clergy and faithful be invited to participate in Eucharistic
Adoration with the intention of praying for the sanctification of the clergy
and for the gift of new and holy priestly vocations.

Dioceses nationwide are planning special prayers before the Blessed Sacrament
in June, offered continuously or across various days in the month. Celebrations
might conclude July 1, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the World Day
of Prayer for Priests.

Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York, president of the United States Conference
of Catholic Bishops, highlighted the importance of this celebration.

“An increase in number and sanctity of the priests in service to our dioceses
is a sign of health and vitality in the Church,” he said. Prayer for vocations
is “a worthy intention” and an appropriate spiritual sacrifice “in gratitude
for the example and service of Pope Benedict XVI,” he wrote in a May 17 letter
to bishops.

For this occasion, the USCCB Secretariat of Clergy, Consecrated Life and
Vocations has designed a prayer card that can be downloaded from
www.foryourvocation.org. The prayer card can be linked to diocesan or parish
websites, printed in parish bulletins, and used for dioceses or parishes.

“This is an exceptional opportunity to give thanks for our Holy Father, to pray
for all of our priests, and to ask the Lord for more vocations to the
priesthood,” said Archbishop Robert J. Carlson of St. Louis, chairman for the
Committee on Clergy, Consecrated Life and Vocations. “The Holy Father has been
an outstanding model of priestly ministry and service to the Church. In his
Message for the World Day of Prayer for Vocations, Proposing Vocations in the
Local Church, he reminded the faithful that we all have a responsibility to
pray for vocations. This is a great opportunity to do just that.”

Dioceses and parishes are asked to share information on how they are
celebrating the anniversary in prayer by sending their information to
cle...@usccb.org.
---
Carlson, USCCB, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Congregation for
Clergy, Eucharistic Adoration, Vocations, World Day of Prayer for Priests

# # # # #

For inquiries, e-mail us at media-relati...@usccb.org