On Jun 18, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:

> On Friday, 18 June 2010, at 10:52:22 (-0400),
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
>> (aside)
>> Instead of a #define version, I typically us a "de facto" check
>> for POPT in compatibilities. E.g. in order to use POPT 2.0
>> in rpm-5.3.2 I'll likely do
>>      #if defined(POPT_ARGFLAG_CALCULATOR)
>>              ... this is POPT 2.0 ...
>>      #else
>>              ... this is NOT POPT 2.0 ...
>>      #endif
>
> I've always preferred this technique myself.  Versioning macros and
> such often fail to account for things like SVN snapshots or human
> error.  Always better to look for what you're actually trying to
> *use*.

Should I go to the effort of a run-time "features" acquisition API?

(aside)
For a "toy" library like POPT, all of this is horrendous overkill
engineering.

OTOH, horrendous overkill engineering is _EXACTLY_ what has made
both POPT/RPM successful. Less maintenance -> more usage.

YMMV. But that's MHO on the matter.

73 de Jeff

POPT Library                                           http://rpm5.org
Developer Communication List                       popt-devel@rpm5.org