if you have a machine that's always running on snapshots, export PKG_PATH
in the environment using a url with .../snapshots/packages/%a (don't use %c
instead of "snapshots"), then you don't need to bother with -Dsnap
you don't usually want FETCH_PACKAGES in mk.conf because then you can't use
"make package" to build a package locally..
--
Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.
On 9 August 2026 23:11:16 Morgan Aldridge <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 9, 2026 at 15:38 vansid <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 9, 2026 at 6:28 PM Stuart Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
I recommend setting 'SUDO=sudo -E' and "PORTS_PRIVSEP=Yes" in /etc/mk.conf
and configuring so that your user account can run things as _pbuild and
_pfetch without prompting, and as root with a password, e.g. like this in
sudoers
your_user ALL=(_pbuild) NOPASSWD: ALL, (_pfetch) NOPASSWD: ALL
your_user ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL
then go to the dir for an individual port (e.g. cd /usr/ports/math/moo)
and as an exception to the normal rule, run "make fix-permissions" as
root.
Thanks, I will definitely do that. Sorry, just one more question...
ZoneMinder has *a lot* of dependencies, all of which seem to resolve
and work but only after a very long time of downloading and compiling
all the related software. When I was doing my initial testing (before
I starting working on the actual OpenBSD ports tree process), I was
able to install many of the dependencies with pre-compiled binaries
from pkg_add which saved considerable time. Is it possible to install
dependent packages in this manner as part of the ports tree process,
or must everything be installed from source according to each port's
Makefile?
Yup, per bsd.port.mk(5), you can set `FETCH_PACKAGES=-Dsnap` in your
`/etc/mk.conf`, as well:
<https://man.openbsd.org/man5/bsd.port.mk.5#FETCH_PACKAGES>
That's assuming you're building on -current, which is suggested. If you
have another machine or VM you're testing for -stable on, you can set
`FETCH_PACKAGES=` (the default is 'No', hence setting it to an empty value,
in this case.)
Hope that helps,
Morgan