On 2022-01-21 23:31, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
22 janv. 2022 08:25:47 Chris <portmas...@bsdforge.com>:

On 2022-01-20 06:25, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
Hello everyone,
We plan to remove the support for fetching packages over ftp for the next
releases of pkg (probably 1.18)
Must be a stupid question. But I'll ask anyway; Why the effort to start removing transports?

Because maintaining ftp has a cost, number of line of code, user support etc.

if you have a strong reason to use ftp which
cannot be fixed by switching to any other supported protocols like ssh or http,
please do share.

Local repos.
ftp(1) is cheap. Other transports are (usually) more expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

ssh which is supported is as cheap if not cheaper.
Technically that's incorrect. But as I see you've also rejected 2 other requests. It's clear that this topic is not actually up for debate. So I'll say no more on the subject.

Bapt
-- Chris