Quoting "Patrick M. Hausen" <hau...@punkt.de> (from Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:19:57 +0100):

Am 22.01.2022 um 09:35 schrieb Chris <portmas...@bsdforge.com>:
I find it's less "housekeeping" to use ftp(1) setup through inetd(8) for pkg repos, than
via ssh.

I understand the appeal of FTP.
Maybe this discussion is focusing on the wrong topic. Perhaps
we should consider including a light weight way to serve HTTP(S)
in base? Like Lighttpd, which as far as I know comes with a BSD
3-clause equivalent license.

But then the general tendency has been to remove network services
from base rather than introduce them. Like e.g. BIND.

So I really have no idea what the general opinion is, just wanted
to throw in that IMHO HTTPS is the best protocol to the task and
if some way to serve that could be included in base, I for one would
appreciate that.

Personally I think that a http(s) server is not needed in base, as long as we don't need it for something in base (and I wouldn't mind if ftpd would get removed from base for the same reason). Installing a package is easy enough (no matter if for http or ftp).

I think in this thread it was mentioned that someone didn't want to install 3rd party software for this. I still can't wrap my head around that part...: - we talk about a tool which is used to exclusively install 3rd party software (pkg) - this tool itself is installed like a 3rd party software (package/port, the system-pkg is only a bootstrap) - and the complete context is serving 3rd party software from a tool which builds 3rd party software locally (poudriere) or at least a downloaded subset from FreeBSD - poudriere is also not in the base system but installed like a 3rd party software - maintaining a list of software you are interested in (be it for poudriere or for automated downloads of FreeBSD packages into a local repo) seems more effort to me, than setting up one more 3rd party software for local file distribution

I wanted to propose here to include config snippeds for apache/nginx/thttp for such an use-case to decrease the configuration burden, but this seems to be already the case (at least for nginx/apache). I can't see within 30sec any docs about this in the poudriere wiki, so maybe adding a prominent pointer to it there might be an improvement?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF