On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:57:16PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> The modularization raises some questions.
>
> On static archs, a module like libp2edrvstd.so can't be loaded (or
> even built).  What effect has this on the functionality of pstoedit?

A very reduced set of available formats (6, well 4 really).
libp2edrvstd.so provides support for 26 additional formats.
I guess this makes pstoedit less interesting on static archs?

> BTW, the static versions of the modules, like libp2edrvstd.a, are
> entirely useless, no point in packaging them.  The same for the .la
> files corresponding to modules (unless ltdl is involved, but I don't
> see it).

What's the preferred way: removing them in post-install or editing PLIST
manually?

> Apparently some additional output modules are available if the
> libraries they depend on are.  I don't know about the others, but
> at least libMagick++ is available through the ImageMagick port.
> This points to the idea of enabling further modules in the build
> and subpackaging them in MULTI_PACKAGES.

Good idea, I'll look into that. You mean adding ImageMagick to LIB_DEPENDS
and building --with-magick by default, and then putting that module in a
subpackage? No flavors? It's usable quite well without ImageMagick, too,
I think.

--
steven.