[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Weisgerber) writes:
> I don't follow.
> From what I understand you set LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 on your _OpenBSD_
> box, which is invalid, and then PERL_BADLANG to shut up perl.  Not
> setting LC_CTYPE in the first place looks like a more straightforward
> approach.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain very well at all.  "export
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" does do something for both emacs and xterm.
Without it both emacs and xterm have trouble reading make.log's
generated by gcc on fedora.  With that LC_CYTPE setting both programs
correctly display the gcc warnings.  Let me see if I can quote a few
lines:

gmfgetfeature.c: In function ‘gmf_get_feature_name0’:
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format ‘%qx’ expects type ‘long long unsigned
int’, but argument 5 has type ‘gf’
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format ‘%qx’ expects type ‘long long unsigned
int’, but argument 6 has type ‘gf’

With the LC_CYPTE set to utf-8, the back-quote and forward-quote show
up like `%qx' and `long long unsigned int` as such:

gmfgetfeature.c: In function `gmf_get_feature_name0':
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format `%qx' expects type `long long unsigned
int', but argument 5 has type `gf'
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format `%qx' expects type `long long unsigned
int', but argument 6 has type `gf'

Without the utf-8 LC_CTYPE, everything between the quotes and the
quotes shows up as the single character 'a' with a ^ over it.  It
basically removes the most valuable part of all the error messages.

gmfgetfeature.c: In function `gmf_get_feature_name0':
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format a^ expects type a^, but argument 5 has
type a^
gmfgetfeature.c:222: warning: format a^ expects type a^, but argument 6 has
type a^

So that LC_CTYPE does do something important for the programs I care
most about.

-wolfgang