I'm having my problems with the ports tree. I just got the network up and running on my Zaurus, and decided to try to get kismet up via ports. I had previously hand-installed two packages (gettext and libiconv). In trying to get kismet up, the system has decided it needed to reinstall gmake, which meant reinstalling both iconv and libintl.

OpenBSD complained vociferously about pre-existing files for those two (they did pre-exist) and I didn't know how to tell the system to accept what I gifted it. I sure wish there was some way to tell the system that it doesn't need to be the sole and only source of all software.

In doing libintl, it's (that is, gmake's port) beenasking for libintl.so.7.3, and complaining that it's not marked with a @lib statement. I'm still reading about that. I did notice, though, that devel/gettext installs a libintl.so.2.0, and it's got no entry inthe PLIST for the shared lib at all, and (if this matters?) no lines in the PLIST with @lib. I suppose, most likely, that the libintl.so.7.3 was probably the one I installed by hand, so why was gmake complaining about it? Don't tell me it's insulted that there were any other files at all?

I will know more next time I write. I can't yet find the doc on the ports system as OpenBSD does it. Is what I found correct? Is there some way to force the gmake port to find the libintl.so.7.3 that really was in /usr/local/lib all the time? ldconfig -r finds it fine.

I really think you ought to consider allowing folks to be able to loosen up on the so strict ports control of files. It's (if this continues like this) going to force me away from all use of ports, if it's won;t let me do anything of my own.