Ray Lai wrote:

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 05:14:59PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
Marc Espie wrote:
- Installing  stuff into the same directories the basic ports install
stuff in is a nice recipe for disaster.
OK, then how about a have "local-1"? I would like, if I install some shared lib in /usr/local-1/lib, to have it not only found, but have it override (in terms of DEPENDS) any lib in /usr/local, or any ports-controlled lib. If I agree that I must take all blame for any problems in such a system, folks in FreeBSD, which runs like that (and has for years) don't seem to be all that worried.

Why move the ports to local-1?  Why don't you install your own stuff
in local-1?  Why does the rest of the world have to bend over for
your sake?

-Ray-
Ray, you didn't read well enough, I merely want to install my own nominations for some pieces of software, anywhere you choose, I don't care too much, I just don't want the system to come to a crashing halt if it finds something of mine. I am perfectly willing to jump thru any hoop whatever, to tell the system what I've done, but it needs to be possible to accomplish.

I give again as example, if I install libintl.so.7.3 in /usr/local-1/lib/, I wish it to be found and used, and not have it overwritten by a libintl.so.2.0 in /usr/local/lib. What I *think* I was asking for really boils down to some method to tell the system, officially, what I've gone and done. Something akin to (but not exactly!) the GNU pkgconfig system. My main problem with that system, by the way, is those silly little *.la files. They aren't needed!

As far as that goes, I did find one nice theng even about Linux: I don't expec to ever get folks to agree, but I think the Gentoo's etc setup is pretty slick. They rely on python, and that in itself is a very nice thing. It's a grownup piece of software, if you'll call perl the teenager. There's good everywhere, if you're not too stubborn.

Did I just call someone else stubborn?  OK , I'm losing it.