Robert Szasz wrote:
Is there a way to get the xchat port to support plugins again? I know that
this feature was disabled at some point in the past, but I couldnt find out
why.

Some time ago I looked into this and noticed something strange: The function dlsym would return the right function address, but the following call to dlerror would not return NULL. So the loading of any plugins failed. Changing the code to test the return value of dlsym instead of dlerror "fixed" the loading of the plugins. I reported this to the maintainer, who said that he would look into this as soon as he got some time. This issue seemed to be fixed when I looked into this again after the release of 3.8, but this could have been the reason why the plugins were disabled.

So my next step was to enable the perl plugin in the port, but this was not giving me the expected results. If I link the object file for the plugin by hand, giving all linker options like in http://www.xchat.org/docs/plugin20.html I get a working plugin and I can load perl scripts. Note that the plugin that is generated by the normal make process from the port is named perl.so.0.0, which will not be found by the autoloader which expects the file perl.so.

So as soon as the port builds the plugins correctly flavours could be a good way to enable perl and/or python plugins. Running a plugin compiled from c or c++ should be possible already (I tried the example in the link above). I will look at the perl plugin myself and report back when I got it working.

Greetings
  Markus