On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:17:54PM +1100, the unit calling itself Ian McWilliam
wrote:

> >The culprit seems to be the "group not found" error... WTF, O??
> >

> OK, It looks like the port needs some work as it doesn't handle the
> default group name.
>
> main.c:# define DEFAULT_GROUP_NAME "mail"
>
> It appears that this can be changed with a command line arg.

True, but running it wit '-g wheel' does not solve the problem.

> main.c:      case 'g': group_name = optarg; break;
>
> It looks like the groupname is used as an argument to lock the users
> mail box.
  << snip >>
> yup, it then fchowns the lock file
>
> lock_maildrop.c: fchown(fd,uid,gid);
>
> So I would assume  on other unix systems /var/mail is group mail by
> default, maybe??.
>
> if you want to add  mail  to the /etc/group file

This doesn't seem to work... akpop3d writes a lockfile to /var/mail, but
it doesn't delete it when it finishes.

I seem to be the only one interested in trying to fix this... the
maintainer hasn't replied in over a week, and the other advice I've
gotten has ranged from "try another package" to "you're too stupid, so I
won't explain it to you".

I may be stupid, but if someone will try to explain what changes are
needed, I'll try to come up with a patch. At the very least, I'll test
the friggin' thing so there won't be dysfunctional crap in the ports
tree.

Jay